In general, you will not be pulled over by a police officer for traveling a few miles over the speed limit as long as there is no evident danger to other drivers on the highway or freeway. Different regulations apply to speed offenses where you are only caught speeding a few miles over the limit, if you are caught speeding at 30 miles or more past the limit, it is a much more serious violation, and law enforcement will be a lot less lenient.
If you have been caught driving over 30 mph over the speed limit, the best thing you can do is seek legal advice from a knowledgeable lawyer. Here at The Law Place, we have lots of experience in dealing with such cases. Our phone lines are open 24/7, so why not contact us at (855)-831-7020 for a free consultation.
The Circumstances of Your Traffic Ticket
If you are lucky, the officer that caught you might cut you a break and write the ticket up for 29 miles over the limit instead of the 30. However, if you are caught speeding over 30 miles an hour in a construction zone, school zone, or residential area, then expect to be treated severely.
According to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), out of 3.9 million traffic tickets issued, 870,440 were speeding tickets. Florida saw a decrease in general traffic tickets in 2014, dropping to 3.6 million, but there was an increase in speeding tickets, with a total of 894,312. Therefore, making speeding tickets the greatest offense in terms of traffic tickets being issued.
Other Issues Associated with Your Calhoun County Speeding Ticket
Upon receiving a speeding fine, you will be given a court date and will have to make a court appearance at Calhoun County court. If in court you are convicted of the offense, you will receive points on your driving license as well as a fine.
If you accumulate twelve points on your driving record in 12-months, you can be suspended from driving for a month. If you accumulate eight points within an eighteen-month time frame, this could lead to a three-month suspension, and if you accumulate twenty-four points within a three-year time frame, this could mean a year-long driving ban.
Furthermore, if you accrue points on your license, this could lead to an increase in your auto insurance premium. The insurance company may even refuse to cover you altogether. If this is the case, you will no longer be able to drive.
County Calhoun is governed by Florida Statutes 316.187, 316.189, and 316.183. Based on these statutes, you must abide by the rules of the road, which dictate that you must no drive faster than what is indicated by road signage. You must also take precautions and make adjustments when the road conditions are poor. If you fail to do so, this can be deemed as reckless driving.
Can You Go to Jail for Going 30 Over the Speed Limit in Calhoun County?
In rare cases, you are caught speeding 30 miles over the stated legal limit and have committed other violations at the time, this can sometimes be deemed reckless driving, which is a criminal offense. This is rare though and for the most part, you will not be looking at any criminal charges for speeding.
How Many Points Will I Get for Traveling 30 Miles Over the Speed Limit in Calhoun County?
If you are caught speeding 30 miles over the limit that is stated, you will receive four points on your driving record. Four points on your driving record could have a big impact, especially if you already have existing points. It could add up to the loss of your license, or if nothing else, it is sure to increase the cost of your insurance.
Other Consequences for Excessive Speeding
• The precise amount a ticket fine will cost will depend on your exact case, as factors can vary, such as your driving history and the officer’s traffic citation, but you could pay a fine from $276 up to $500.
• Unfortunately, if you have been caught traveling over thirty miles above the stated limit but have not accumulated enough points to result in a license ban, the judge can still ban you dependent on the circumstance of the situation.
• Furthermore, your points can be doubled depending on the location you were caught, such as within a school zone.
Potential Defenses to Your Speeding Ticket in Calhoun County
All speeding ticket cases are unique from case to case; this means that your traffic ticket lawyer will compile the facts for your specific case. But, below is a list of generic defenses often implemented by those caught speeding at thirty miles or above of the cited limit:
• If you were refused the right to a quick trial, then there may be a motion to dismiss.
• If evidence was rejected by the court that was necessary for your lawyer to use in your defense, then there may be a motion to dismiss.
• If there is not sufficient supporting evidence for the charges, then there may be a motion to dismiss.
• If the officer cannot recall the details of the day when they issued you the speeding ticket, there may be a motion to dismiss.
• If there is a protocol error found in your speeding ticket, then there may be a motion to dismiss.
• If the equipment used to monitor traffic is found to be faulty and you were issued a speeding ticket, there may be a motion to dismiss.
• Dependent on the situation, your attorney may be able to get you off the hook by getting the judge to drop the points. However, you will need to pay the ticket fine on time and not commit any other traffic offenses within a specified time frame.
• Your attorney has the right to challenge the ticket issued, depending on the device that was used to measure your speed. Most of the time, speed is measured with either a laser gun, radar gun, pace clock, or even aircraft detection, although the latter is rare.
Contact The Law Place Today
Judges have heard every excuse in the book, usually countless times. Whether you were rushing to get to the hospital, or you were desperate for the toilet, unless you have a genuine excuse as well as proof, it is unlikely it will work to reduce your charge. The best thing you can do is enlist the help of an experienced attorney to talk on your behalf.
If you have been issued a ticket for speeding in County Calhoun and were driving thirty miles or above over the stated limit, then we advise that you seek consultation from our lawyers at The Law Place. We have a team of highly qualified and knowledgeable attorneys with experience assisting people in similar situations to you.
Our aim is to aid you in minimizing the consequences you could face as a result of receiving a ticket for speeding. . Do not hesitate to contact us at The Law Place for a free consultation, call us now on (855)-831-7020.
Calhoun County Courthouse
20859 East Central,